The Authentic Blog of the Reefs Resort & Club
The Reefs' Top-Secret Hot Cross Buns Recipe
Our hot cross buns baking has begun on the eve of Good Friday. We couldn't hold out on our Reefs fans who can't be with us this weekend, so we're sharing the recipe to our spiced, sweet treat!
Hot Cross Buns Ingredients
- ¼ Cup Apple Juice or Rum
- ½ Cup Mixed Dried Fruit
- ½ Cup Raison or Currents
- 1 ¼ Cup of Room Temperature Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 6 Table Spoons Butter
- 2 Teaspoon Yeast
- ¼ Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Cloves or Allspice Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- 1 ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 4 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
Pre-Bake Glaze Ingredients
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Powdered Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 Teaspoons Milk
- Mix all of the dried fruit together with apple juice or rum and cover with plastic and microwave until warm.
- Mix the rest of the dry ingredients in, along with milk, eggs, and butter, until dough comes together..
- Divide the dough into 3 ¾ ounce balls.
- Rest for 10 minutes. Combine 1 egg white and 1 tbsp. of milk to form glaze. Apply to buns before baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Combine icing ingredients and apply after allowing buns to cool.
Enjoy!Read other posts